Friday 11 February 2011

Beards Are The New Black

I pretty much always have some facial hair, be it stubble or more likely a grade 3-4, but I always seem to grow a beard over Christmas, does it makes me feel warmer out on the golf course? probably not. Inevitably I get attached to it & grow it until late March & feel a tinge of sadness as the blonde/brown but mainly ginger hair falls into the sink to form a shape close to an albino hedgehog. Maybe I feel comfortable with one because of the music I listen to, the people I hang out with or the fact I'm sometimes in a band. I NEVER see full beards at golf clubs...why is that? no younger players with the same taste in music & clothes? The fuzz I grew from 2010 was a beauty. I grew it for around four and a half months, only occasionally trimming it or pulling out those white hairs that seemed to grow longer and faster than the others, it was impressive & friends called it a 'proper' beard. I did however get a few comments, some good ones but mainly negative about my appearance. One bar manager at a golf club said "10 years ago I would have thrown you out for looking like that" I guessed the rules had slackened slightly seeing as the bar was empty, the course patchy and the members few on the ground. If you happen to see my friend Tom Cox and I out on the golf course, you would be forgiven for thinking a couple of The Beach Boys circa 1971 were out for a leisurely 18 holes. Or when my friend & band-mate Andy comes out for quick 9, he also loves a good beard but can't quite grow it enough to stop him from looking like Peter Sutcliffe.




You never see good facial fuzz in the pro golf ranks. Graeme McDowell, the only bearded player to win a major?.  I could knock that chin strap out over a weekend. Raphael Jacqeulin has a go now and then but looks homeless rather than exuding hipster coolness. Finally, we have someone who doesn't mess around when it comes to sporting a beard on the golf course. Lucas Glover US Open Winner. Not since the days of Old Tom Morris have we seen something so luxuriant in the pro game. We salute you. 




Excerpts from Lucas Glover interview from Waste Management Open Feb 2011.

Q. Were you able to go any holes without somebody commenting on your beard?

LUCAS GLOVER: No. I'm worried about a bunch of the guys asking me for my phone number, but they keep commenting on it, so that's going to be my line next time. (That makes no sense... GF)

Q. What's been the best comment?

LUCAS GLOVER: I don't know, you get a lot of "Grizzly" and "Brian Wilson."


My best comment was from a Big Issue seller outside a Band Of Horses gig..."Nice Beard Chief..."

Q. How long have you been growing it?

LUCAS GLOVER: I don't know, seven, eight weeks. I started the 1st of December. 

(7 weeks! he was seen October 2010 with the start of a beard GF)

Q. Are you going to stick around with it?

LUCAS GLOVER: I don't know, just lazy, something to do. (Yes, if he starts winning again! GF)



The Band King Harvest Long Black Veil 1970 Beards at their best


No comments:

Post a Comment