Friday 20 May 2011

New Americana Band Tee It Up At Colonial

With Goydos in this picture they just look like a piss poor Beach Boy's tribute act from the mid 80's. 

Possibly not since the days of Old Tom Morris and his cronies, have we seen two players in the same group, one a major winner, one a multiple tournament winner, sporting beards. Proper beards at that. Lucas Glover and Hunter Mahan look they should be playing vintage bass & guitar's respectively in a new Americana band in the style of Drive By Truckers or The Felice Brothers. Especially with the 'My Name Is Earl' quality of their trailer park style baseball caps. Beards are a new golfing trend I hope catches on, as I would love to see the anti charismatic Casey/Donald/Rose, sour puss Monty, smoothie Couples or 'Rising Damp's Frances De La Tour' lookilike Rory McIIlroy with one. Paul Goydos, on the other hand, the other player in the three ball, sported a goatee in 1996 when he won Arnold Palmer's Bay Hill Invitational, which in facial fuzz stakes is a no-no unless you also work part time in Carphone Warehouse. Arnold quite rightly told him as he came off the 18th "You need to shave that stuff off.......& in the long run should I switch from pay as you go? I don't send many texts" 


Ryan Moore, getting in on the act.



Drive By Truckers

"He's in another category of woolly mammoth." Hunter Mahan on his scraggly beard, compared to that of Lucas Glover

'The ball doesn't know what I've got on my face,' Lucas Glover says about his bearded look.

"Today, Glover said to me, 'the golf ball doesn't know ugly.' I'm not sure who he was talking about, probably me."World No. 9 Paul Casey, who played alongside Glover and eventually missed the cut.


The Felice Brothers




No comments:

Post a Comment